I charge out at $150/Hour + GST. This is also my callout rate. I also give free quotes. I will charge for the first hour and then in 1/2 hour increments.
If long travel distances are required, I also charge for my travel time and Toll fees.
Need a New Computer (April 2017 Prices)
If you feel that you have outgrown your current computer and want to upgrade it, check if it is worth doing. Many times the cost of upgrading an old computer is close to the cost of a new computer. Older parts are more expensive. Example, Memory for an old computer using DDR 400 might cost $14 for 1 GIG and $28 for 2GIG of DDR2, where you can get 4 GIG of DDR3 Ram for $37-41. There is also now DDR4 RAM which for 4GIG would also cost you $39-43. There are lots of similar examples.
The current technology is now to build computers using the new Intel or AMD CPU’s
INTEL: They have from the oldest to the newest
- Intel Skylake 1151pin CPU’s ($70-$150)
- Intel 2011-3 pin CPU ($595-$2335)
- Intel KabyLake 1151pin ($50-$469)
AMD Here we have the
- AM3 and AM3+ CPU’s($120-$230)
- AMD Ryzen 5/7 ($245-$680)
Then we need to choose a matching Motherboard, RAM, Case, DVD Drive, Hard Drive, Graphics Card (Assuming Onboard Graphics are insufficient).
Motherboards must have the same Pin configuration (1151/2011-3 etc) that the CPU has. Even some of the cheaper motherboards have built in Full HD Graphics 1920×1200 @ 60 hz. Some Motherboards support DDR3 others DDR4 RAM and some both.
What windows do you want to run? Windows 7 (Harder to get), Windows 10, now at the Creator Edition.
Running out of Disk Space?
We can copy/clone your old drive onto a new larger drive and retain all your existing settings.
Are you worried about your data? Need to keep it secure? We offer the multiple options to ensure your families data is backed up regularly and securely. Backup costs are primarily dependent on the volume of data you need backed up. More data takes more time and a backup is only a good backup if it is verified that it is working.
Backup Drives costs can start at around $80 for a simple small data backup drive (1TB size).
- Backup to external Hard Drive. If your data exceeds the volume that a single CD or DVD can handle, then an external drive might be a better option. These drives would need to be large enough to store all your data and perhaps, multiple versions of your data. Drive options vary depending on the make, style and size of the drive.
- Backup to CD or DVD (Assuming your computer has a burner).. If your computer does not have a burner, the one can be installed if requested. DVD Burner can cost under $50 and can be installed and tested in around an hour assuming your computer supports an internal optical drive installation. You can also get a portable USB connected DVD burner. Media is relatively cheap. A 50 pack of DVD’s X8 Speed might cost in the region of $11 or $20 for x16 speed.
There are over 1,000,000,000,000 computer viruses in existence as of 2008
- A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer without the permission or knowledge of the owner.
- Spyware is computer software that is installed surreptitiously on a personal computer to collect information about a user, their computer or browsing habits without the user’s informed consent
- Adware or advertising-supported software is any software package which automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertisements to a computer after the software is installed on it or while the application is being used. Some types of adware are also spyware and can be classified as privacy-invasive software.
- Bitcoin Miners In simple terms, if you get a miner running on your computer, it will run possibly without being detected as a virus but it uses your computers processing power and electricity usage while the computer is on to produce data for the person who has planted this miner program. They then get the Bitcoin value sent to them by this program. It is cheaper to use other peoples/companies computers to generate this data then to build and maintain a BITCOIN generating computer.
- Ransomware : This is the current scourge impacting computer systems around the world. There are variants being created every few seconds which makes it difficult to identify and block. See my post.
Each of these need to be checked for and appropriate measures put in place to block, protect and remove infections from your computer. Some vendors provide bundled software which can be used to protect against all three types of infections. Remember, always check everything that you receive on your computer before opening it. It is better to be safe. From the website http://www.statisticbrain.com/computer-virus-statistics/
|Number of US households that experience heavy spam||24 million|
|Number of households that have had serious virus problems in the past 2 years||16 million|
|Number of households that have had spyware problems in the past 6 months||8 million|
|Number of households that lost money or had accounts misused by phishing||1 million|
|Estimated cost to US households for viruses, spyware and phishing||$4.55 billion|
|Percent of all US households that have been affected by viruses||40 %|
|Most widespread virus to date by number of infections – “Conficker Virus”||8,976,038|