A WiFi mesh is a type of wireless networking technology that utilizes multiple nodes or access points to provide a more extensive and robust wireless network coverage. Unlike traditional WiFi networks that rely on a single wireless router to provide coverage, a WiFi mesh system uses multiple access points or nodes that work together to create a mesh network.
Each access point or node in a WiFi mesh system communicates with the other nodes to provide seamless connectivity throughout the network. This means that if one node fails or becomes unavailable, the other nodes in the network will automatically take over, ensuring that there is no interruption in the wireless network service.
WiFi mesh networks are ideal for large homes, offices, or commercial buildings where a single wireless router may not provide adequate coverage. With a WiFi mesh system, you can extend the coverage of your wireless network and ensure that all devices can connect to the internet seamlessly.
I have rolled out many WiFi mesh systems into homes that have what we might call “Dead Zones” where the WiFi signal is either not visible or so weak that the service is unusable.
The system I primarily use is the TP-Link Deco m9 Plus They are sold as Single, 2-pack and 3-pack options. Normally I start with a 3 pack and add more units/nodes if required to get full home coverage. TP-Link have many models to choose from.
- Seamless Coverage: Achieve seamless whole-home coverage with a mesh Wi-Fi system and eliminate weak signal areas once and for all.
- One Unified Network: Multiple units form a whole-home network that auto-selects the best connection as you move around your home.
- Broad Coverage: Enjoy Wi-Fi coverage up to 420 square metres with just 2 Deco M9 Plus units and expand it by just adding more Decos.
- Fast Connections: Three separate wireless bands up to 2134 Mbps with a dynamic backhaul up to 1.5 Gbps ensure stable, high-speed connections wherever you are in your home.
- Seamless Management: Deco M9 Plus acts as a hub for your wireless and smart home devices.
- Connect Multiple Devices: Deco handles traffic from even the busiest networks, providing a lag-free connection for over 100 devices.
- Total Security: HomeCareTM provides personalized features, including Parental Controls, Antivirus, and Quality of Service (QoS)* to ensure a safer online experience.
- Setup Made Easier Than Ever: The Deco app walks you through setup—step by step
This 3-pack sells currently for around $450. Setup is fairly simple and done though your smart device using the DECO app. It will ask you what name you want to give your new WiFi system and what password.
Initially the system is setup in Router Mode but I normally switch this to Access Point Mode which will result in the system being part of the existing network. It also has an option to turn on a Guest Network for visitors. On each of the units there are 2 network ports which can be used to plug in a device which perhaps does not have WiFi capability. From what I have read, the USB port at this point does not have any functionality (Not sure why they have it then) On the top there is a small LED light which when the system is working will be green.
Other examples of other brands are :
o Netgear – ORBI 960 Series : Sells for $2800 for 3 pack
o NETGEAR Orbi WiFi 6 AX1800 Mesh System (RBK353) Sells for Just under $400 on sale. Normally $600
o Google Nest 3 Pack Sells for $450 1 Router and 2 Nodes.
Give me a call on 0414405007 to discuss if you are interested.